Monday 26 April 2010

The Bank Job

As a London cyclist I’m always happy to see adverts on TV that tell people not to run me over. It makes me happy. This blog is about a great ad that keeps all us planet savers alive and jumping red lights. Hurrah. The concept of the bank job continues the Department for Tranport's theme of perception, what you notice and what you don’t. I must admit maybe the concept is slightly too high brow or I’m an idiot (most likely the second is true): because I didn’t know the why some objects in the advert were bigger than others until I’d watched the advert around five times. This is embarrassing please forget it and continue reading as if it never happened.

The things the robbers are looking out for are bigger, the things they aren’t stay the same size and unnoticed...until they run over a cyclist. The moral of the story? Running over cyclists is wrong. A great advert continuing the concept of making motorists second guess themselves, made more relevant than ever by the widening of the cycle London scheme and cycle hiring which will soon be in place. A slightly lengthened run time of 41 seconds is crucial to building the story and ultimately making you remember. Whilst it might not fill the bracket for a water cooler moment ad; it will definitely make many drivers think before pulling out into the road. All in all a great piece of communication, I’m waiting for the new ad telling white van men to be friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64T319-PhDI

No comments:

Post a Comment